From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 19:39:57
1 On Thursday 07 April 2011 11:35:42 BRM wrote:
2 > ----- Original Message ----
3 >
4 > > From: J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
5 >
6 > I think the issue comes from the fact that LVM2 supports Mirroring without
7 > an underlying RAID controller:
8 >
9 > http://tinyurl.com/3woh2d7
10 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_%28Linux%29
11 > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/performance/59776
12 >
13 > Which would be a redundancy.
14
15 Ok, I wasn't aware of that bit.
16 From the first hit in the google-list, I do think that LVM-mirror isn't really
17 ready. Especially as the read-performance is less then using software raid.
18
19 I don't find mdadm difficult to use though. It's a vast improvement over the old
20 raidtools.
21
22 > > I do hope you didn't loose too much important data when you had this
23 > > issue.
24 >
25 > No, I didn't loose any important data (fortunately). If I did, I would have
26 > paid for the drive to be recovered; it was mostly portage, var/tmp, some
27 > extra sandbox stuff, kind of things.
28
29 Glad to hear that.
32 Joost