From: Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] backup program recommendations?
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 14:10:46
1 On Saturday 07 Mar 2009, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I seem to recall that Kdar or dar had a bug that lead to it being
4 > masked. This was a while back so it may be fixed now but it may be
5 > worth checking into to make sure. Nothing worse than thinking you have
6 > backups when they are worthless.
7
8 Kdar became incompatible with later versions of libdarapi but then it was
9 fixed and now works well again. Dar is extremely fast compared to tar,
10 especially when restoring. It is probably best to use scripts to perform
11 nightly backups (lots of examples on the web site) and the GUI for those
12 times when you want to restore those couple of files you just munged. :)
13 Dar also has options for running an external utility at the end of each
14 backup 'slice', so writing the archive to DVD would be an option.
15
16 HTH
17 -Robin
18 --
20 Robin Atwood.
21
22 "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
23 Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
24 from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling