From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:23:51
1 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 12/14/10 17:42:40, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I got one more hard drive to move over and it is SATA. Question one,
7 >> can the new mobo's do hot plugging for SATA drives? I have a plug on
8 >> the front of the case and was wondering since it is on the front if
9 >> they
10 >>
11 > If this is an eSATA connection then it works just fine out of the box.
12 > It's helpful to write some UDEV rule e.g. in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-
13 > local.rules, e.g.
14 > SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi", ATTRS{model}=="WDC WD10EADS-65L", SYMLINK="WDExt%n"
15 > which generates the /dev/WDExt ... /devWDExt4 devices if there are
16 > e.g. 4 partitions on that drive. Thus you can write a fixed entry
17 > in your fstab using these devices.
21 So this is doable then. Interesting. ^_^
22
23 >> can be hot swapped or if I need to shutdown then hook it up. If I
24 >> can
25 >>
26 >> hot swap, where does the power come from? I know the drives I put in
27 >> the case have a separate power connection. How's that work exactly?
28 >> Is
29 >> that just for external drives that have their own power?
30 >>
31 >> I have two dries in here already. One I bought and one that was
32 >> donated. This is what hdparm reports:
33 >>
34 >> fireball ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sda
35 >>
36 >> /dev/sda:
37 >> Timing cached reads: 6788 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3395.32 MB/sec
38 >> Timing buffered disk reads: 328 MB in 3.01 seconds = 109.06 MB/
39 >> sec
40 >> fireball ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sdb
41 >>
42 >> /dev/sdb:
43 >> Timing cached reads: 6736 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3367.58 MB/sec
44 >> Timing buffered disk reads: 324 MB in 3.01 seconds = 107.69 MB/
45 >> sec
46 >>
47 > Exactly the same here, the external SATA drive is even slower
48 > /dev/sdd:
49 > Timing cached reads: 7498 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3750.67 MB/sec
50 > Timing buffered disk reads: 262 MB in 3.02 seconds = 86.70 MB/sec
53 >> fireball ~ #
54 >>
55 >> Is that about normal? The mobo is 3Gbs/sec and the drives are too.
56 >> Shouldn't they be faster than that? I read at one time that SATA is
57 >> basically plug up and it works. Just checking if there is a setting
58 >> I
59 >>
60 >> need to change.
61 >>
62 >> Related to the above, in the BIOS, it is set to Native IDE. Should
63 >> that
64 >> be set to AHCI instead? Is that why it is slower than expected? Is
65 >> that good to go with Linux as well? I have this set in the kernel
66 >> and
67 >>
68 >> built in as usual:
69 >>
70 >> AHCI SATA support
71 >>
72 > I'have configured my BIOS like that. It's working just fine.
75 >> Let me know if I am somewhat right on anything. Oh, I decided to
76 >> name
77 >>
78 >> the new rig fireball instead of lightening. ;-) You may notice that
79 >> in
80 >> the paste up above.
83 > Helmut.
87 Well, according to the mobo book, AHCI "enables advanced SATA
88 features". Me, I read that and I think that it may mean faster. It
89 also says it is set to native by default for OS's that can handle only
90 native mode controllers. I just don't want to try it without making
91 sure it is not going to lead to some sort of file system problems or
92 something. I did some Googling but most of the stuff I find is from
93 years ago and things have changed a lot since then.
94
95 Thanks for the info.
96
97 Dale