From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:42:18
1 On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > Well, according to the mobo book, AHCI "enables advanced SATA features".
5 >  Me, I read that and I think that it may mean faster.  It also says it is
6 > set to native by default for OS's that can handle only native mode
7 > controllers.  I just don't want to try it without making sure it is not
8 > going to lead to some sort of file system problems or something.  I did some
9 > Googling but most of the stuff I find is from years ago and things have
10 > changed a lot since then.
11 >
12 > Thanks for the info.
13 >
14 > Dale
15
16 In my experience the Intel BIOS stuff effected booting from internal
17 SATA drives. If it worked it didn't create any other problems that I
18 saw.
19
20 IIRC there were some kernel driver options to get the right things
21 built in which would of course be required to boot.
22
23 Hope this helps,
24 Mark