From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How can I turn off xterm console restore?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:11:21
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Saturday 22 January 2011 05:45:27 Walter Dnes wrote:
4 >> As soon as some textmode applications in xterm stop, their output gets
5 >> wiped, and the xterm screen is restored to what it looked like before I
6 >> launched the app. Somebody thought they were being "helpful"; then
7 >> again, so did the designers of "Clippy". I don't know how many updates
8 >> ago the behaviour changed, but here's what happens...
9 >
10 > Hmm ... as far as I can recall with xterm/aterm this behaviour for some
11 > commands is the expected/default behaviour. I've looked into it for things
12 > like top et al when launched like so on the desktop from e.g. fluxbox's menu:
13 >
14 > aterm +sb -e top -d 2
15 >
16 > Pressing q to quit top closes the aterm. Completely. :-(
17 >
18 > I have not found a solution for it.
19 >
20 > With xterm I would use the -hold option to stop xterm from collapsing like so:
21 >
22 > xterm -geometry 144x30 -bg black -fg green -hold -e 'ps auxf'
23 >
24 > Thereafter I use the window decoration to close xterm, because no other
25 > keyboard inputs are accepted by it.
26
27 I think the OP is talking about how some programs (ncurses-based and the
28 like?) such as less output to a separate "layer" which is hidden when
29 they terminate, instead of writing to the same "layer" where the shell
30 lives (what would make the last output still visible when they end and
31 control goes back to the shell.
32
33 But I have no idea how to change it - I know it works differently in
34 some terminals, but I never tried to figure out how and why.
37 Nuno J. Silva
38 gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg