From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: reiser4 status
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:22:13
1 On Sonntag, 17. Februar 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 17 February 2008, James wrote:
3 > > Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann <at> tu-clausthal.de>
4 >
5 > writes:
6 > > > > > that is bullshit. If you have ever followed the ml you would
7 > > > > > now it.
8 > > > >
9 > > > > It's been languishing in -mm for ages, never mind any progress
10 > > > > that namesys itself might make with their own code.
11 > >
12 > > Well, I'm no Reiser expert, but a few days ago I was reading at
13 > > kernel newbies and following some links about the future of the linux
14 > > kernel, when I stumbled across something that really makes sense
15 > > concerning why many influential kernel devs do not like (trust)
16 > > reiser4fs:
17 > >
18 > > That is the style allows for 'loadable' modules (er the nomenclature
19 > > is plugin) and the resulting fear that if reiser4 is 'blessed' and
20 > > included into the linux kernel, then those with advanced knowledge
21 > > could write very specific modules (of the commercial kind) for niche
22 > > feature that just plug into reiser4fs.
23 >
24 > A further HUGE objection is the extreme difficulty in writing an fsck
25 > for such a filesystem.
28 two weeks ago I had a screw-up in my reiser4-based /var.
29
30 fsck.reiser4 fixed it nicely.
31
32 Since the fsck is already there -what is your argument again?
33
34 > Don't get me wrong, Hans' ideas for reiser4 are extremely
35 > forward-thinking and possibly very useful and valuable. Imagine the
36 > possibilities - the user could tune the filesystem to do whatever he
37 > needed, plug in modules optimized for the data the user is using, even
38 > in ways that namesys never predicted. WinFS could actually happen, just
39 > not on Windows <evil grin>
40 >
41 > However, not at the expense of existing deployments and methods. An fsck
42 > is an absolute requirement for Linux's largest user-base on something
43 > with the scope of reiser4.
44
45 so we should all be happy that the fsck is there and works.
48 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list