From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: reiser4 status
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:58:37
1 On Sunday 17 February 2008, James wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann <at> tu-clausthal.de>
3 writes:
4 > > > > that is bullshit. If you have ever followed the ml you would
5 > > > > now it.
6 > > >
7 > > > It's been languishing in -mm for ages, never mind any progress
8 > > > that namesys itself might make with their own code.
9 >
10 > Well, I'm no Reiser expert, but a few days ago I was reading at
11 > kernel newbies and following some links about the future of the linux
12 > kernel, when I stumbled across something that really makes sense
13 > concerning why many influential kernel devs do not like (trust)
14 > reiser4fs:
15 >
16 > That is the style allows for 'loadable' modules (er the nomenclature
17 > is plugin) and the resulting fear that if reiser4 is 'blessed' and
18 > included into the linux kernel, then those with advanced knowledge
19 > could write very specific modules (of the commercial kind) for niche
20 > feature that just plug into reiser4fs.
21
22 A further HUGE objection is the extreme difficulty in writing an fsck
23 for such a filesystem.
24
25 Don't get me wrong, Hans' ideas for reiser4 are extremely
26 forward-thinking and possibly very useful and valuable. Imagine the
27 possibilities - the user could tune the filesystem to do whatever he
28 needed, plug in modules optimized for the data the user is using, even
29 in ways that namesys never predicted. WinFS could actually happen, just
30 not on Windows <evil grin>
31
32 However, not at the expense of existing deployments and methods. An fsck
33 is an absolute requirement for Linux's largest user-base on something
34 with the scope of reiser4.
35
36 As you say, the prime reason is probably that other kernel devs are fed
37 up with the person called Hans Reiser and simply ignore him or won't
38 deal with him. That is their right, it applies in every other facet of
39 life.
40
41 There's a parallel between reiser4/XFS and Con's cpu scheduler versus
42 Ingo's. Linus trusts Ingo and has complete faith that Ingo will
43 continue to maintain his work. He didn't have the same warm fuzzy
44 feeling with Con. There's a truck-load more at stake with new kernel
45 sub-systems that purely code quality, regardless of what the PR line
46 syays
50 Alan McKinnon
51 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
54 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list