From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: reiser4 status
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 03:41:56
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann <at> tu-clausthal.de> writes:
2
3 > > > that is bullshit. If you have ever followed the ml you would now it.
4 > >
5 > > It's been languishing in -mm for ages, never mind any progress that
6 > > namesys itself might make with their own code.
9 Well, I'm no Reiser expert, but a few days ago I was reading at kernel newbies
10 and following some links about the future of the linux kernel, when I stumbled
11 across something that really makes sense concerning why many influential kernel
12 devs do not like (trust) reiser4fs:
13
14 That is the style allows for 'loadable' modules (er the nomenclature is plugin)
15 and the resulting fear that if reiser4 is 'blessed' and included into the linux
16 kernel, then those with advanced knowledge could write very specific modules (of
17 the commercial kind) for niche feature that just plug into reiser4fs.
18
19 So Hans and others could develop very cool features that 'plugin' to reiser4fs,
20 but, if they choose, folks would have to *PAY* for these advanced features.
21 That's the whole rub (in essence) as to why reiser4fs will never make it into
22 the kernel. Lots of kernel folks *do not trust Hans Reiser*.......
23
24 His abusive shenanigans are an issue, but, not really why reiser4fs is doomed.
27 Again, this is third hand gossip, but of all the poo-poo one reads, it actually
28 makes sense, to the layman.
29
30 (of coarse I did not save the link)....
31
32 hth,
33 James
36 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list