From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: reiser4 status
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 04:35:54
1 On Sonntag, 17. Februar 2008, James wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann <at> tu-clausthal.de> writes:
3 > > > > that is bullshit. If you have ever followed the ml you would now it.
4 > > >
5 > > > It's been languishing in -mm for ages, never mind any progress that
6 > > > namesys itself might make with their own code.
7 >
8 > Well, I'm no Reiser expert, but a few days ago I was reading at kernel
9 > newbies and following some links about the future of the linux kernel, when
10 > I stumbled across something that really makes sense concerning why many
11 > influential kernel devs do not like (trust) reiser4fs:
12 >
13 > That is the style allows for 'loadable' modules (er the nomenclature is
14 > plugin) and the resulting fear that if reiser4 is 'blessed' and included
15 > into the linux kernel, then those with advanced knowledge could write very
16 > specific modules (of the commercial kind) for niche feature that just plug
17 > into reiser4fs.
18
19 the 'modules' are a) compile time addons and b) have to be activated at mkfs.
20
21 But hey, if modules are bad, why not remove it as a feature?
25 > So Hans and others could develop very cool features that 'plugin' to
26 > reiser4fs, but, if they choose, folks would have to *PAY* for these
27 > advanced features. That's the whole rub (in essence) as to why reiser4fs
28 > will never make it into the kernel. Lots of kernel folks *do not trust
29 > Hans Reiser*.......
30
31 that accusations came up. I remember. But what about the extremly patched
32 Distro kernels? They 'enhance' the kernels with 'special features' and demand
33 money for them (yes, I look at you Redhat and Suse).
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list