From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} rdiff-backup: push or pull?
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 01:02:39
1 >> >> > You can seperate the backups by giving each system a different
2 >> >> > account
3 >> >> > where to store the backups.
4 >> >>
5 >> >> I'm not sure what you mean.  The backups are all stored on the backup
6 >> >> server.
7 >> >
8 >> > Each machine to be backed up has a different account on the backup
9 >> > server. This will prevent machine A from accessing the backups of
10 >> > machine B.
11 >> >
12 >> > This way, if one machine is compromised, only this machines backups can
13 >> > be accessed using the access-keys for the backup. And this machines
14 >> > keys can then be revoked without affecting other backups.
15 >>
16 >> That's a great idea.  I will do that.  Should that backup account have
17 >> any special configuration, or just a standard new user?
18 >
19 > I would suspect just a standard new user with default permissions.
20 > Eg. only write-access to his/her own files.
21 >
22 > And I'd prevent that user account from being able to get a shell-account.
23
24 I created the backup users and everything works as long as the backup
25 users have shells on the backup server and are listed in AllowUsers in
26 /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the backup server. Did I do something wrong
27 or should the backup users need shells and to be listed in AllowUsers?
28
29 Should I set up any extra restrictions for them in sshd_config?
30 Should I set passwords for them?
31
32 - Grant
35 > A ".bashrc" with "exit" as the last or first entry is a nice touch. Especially
36 > if you set the permissions such that it works for the user but the user can
37 > never change that file.
38 >
39 > --
40 > Joost