From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} rdiff-backup: push or pull?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 06:19:35
1 On Wednesday, August 17, 2011 10:18:25 AM Grant wrote:
2 > >> > You can seperate the backups by giving each system a different
3 > >> > account
4 > >> > where to store the backups.
5 > >>
6 > >> I'm not sure what you mean. The backups are all stored on the backup
7 > >> server.
8 > >
9 > > Each machine to be backed up has a different account on the backup
10 > > server. This will prevent machine A from accessing the backups of
11 > > machine B.
12 > >
13 > > This way, if one machine is compromised, only this machines backups can
14 > > be accessed using the access-keys for the backup. And this machines
15 > > keys can then be revoked without affecting other backups.
16 >
17 > That's a great idea. I will do that. Should that backup account have
18 > any special configuration, or just a standard new user?
19
20 I would suspect just a standard new user with default permissions.
21 Eg. only write-access to his/her own files.
22
23 And I'd prevent that user account from being able to get a shell-account.
24
25 A ".bashrc" with "exit" as the last or first entry is a nice touch. Especially
26 if you set the permissions such that it works for the user but the user can
27 never change that file.
30 Joost