From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To swap or not to swap? Is it really needed?
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 03:55:42
1 On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Claudio Roberto França Pereira
2 <spideybr@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > ZRAM is a compressed ramdisk for swap, right? I'm really not
4 > interested currently.
5 > My next system will have 16gb of ram, and I'll create an 8gb ramdisk
6 > on it to increase emerge performance. Other than that, I'm pretty
7 > happy with my system performance, disabling swap and compositing
8 > effects (remember, open source radeon drivers, I might try fglrx again
9 > but I really liked KMS) did the trick.
10
11 8GB isn't enough for some packages. Though putting it on top of zram
12 might work. I don't know how you'd calculate the free space, though,
13 and portage would check in advance.
16 :wq