From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To swap or not to swap? Is it really needed?
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 07:33:18
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Claudio Roberto França Pereira
3 > <spideybr@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> ZRAM is a compressed ramdisk for swap, right? I'm really not
5 >> interested currently.
6 >> My next system will have 16gb of ram, and I'll create an 8gb ramdisk
7 >> on it to increase emerge performance. Other than that, I'm pretty
8 >> happy with my system performance, disabling swap and compositing
9 >> effects (remember, open source radeon drivers, I might try fglrx again
10 >> but I really liked KMS) did the trick.
11 > 8GB isn't enough for some packages. Though putting it on top of zram
12 > might work. I don't know how you'd calculate the free space, though,
13 > and portage would check in advance.
16 I have portages work directory on tmpfs and it works fine. I don't have
17 it set to a specific amount so it uses whatever it needs. It even works
18 fine with LOo. I have 16Gbs in all but it rarely uses more than 4Gbs.
19 Of course, I don't just sit here and watch it either. I start my
20 updates and usually go to bed.
21
22 Dale
23
27 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
28
29 Miss the compile output? Hint:
30 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"