From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To swap or not to swap? Is it really needed?
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:33:18
1 On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 2:31 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Michael Mol wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Claudio Roberto França Pereira
5 >> <spideybr@×××××.com>  wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> ZRAM is a compressed ramdisk for swap, right? I'm really not
8 >>> interested currently.
9 >>> My next system will have 16gb of ram, and I'll create an 8gb ramdisk
10 >>> on it to increase emerge performance. Other than that, I'm pretty
11 >>> happy with my system performance, disabling swap and compositing
12 >>> effects (remember, open source radeon drivers, I might try fglrx again
13 >>> but I really liked KMS) did the trick.
14 >>
15 >> 8GB isn't enough for some packages. Though putting it on top of zram
16 >> might work. I don't know how you'd calculate the free space, though,
17 >> and portage would check in advance.
20 > I have portages work directory on tmpfs and it works fine.  I don't have it
21 > set to a specific amount so it uses whatever it needs.  It even works fine
22 > with LOo.  I have 16Gbs in all but it rarely uses more than 4Gbs.  Of
23 > course, I don't just sit here and watch it either.  I start my updates and
24 > usually go to bed.
25
26 Hm. tmpfs defaults (at least on my system) to a capacity of about 3GB.
27 What do you have for mount options in fstab?
28
29 I used to put portage's work directory on tmpfs, but I had to stop
30 when LO ran out of space in a pre-check, IIRC. Now I have it on top of
31 a RAID5 it shares with /home.
34 :wq