From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: getting GMT to use DST
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:22:44
1 On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:20:46 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > I have an identical question.
4 > I set /etc/localtime this way:
5 > cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST /etc/localtime
6
7 You no longer need to do that. The timezone-data ebuild used the
8 TIMEZONE variable in conf.d/clock to copy the correct file for you.
9
10 > I'm in Florida and my /etc/conf.d/clock settings
11 > are:
12 >
13 > CLOCK="EST"
14 > TIMEZONE="/usr/share/zoneinfoAmerica/New_York"
15 >
16 > Is it correct to use EST or should it be local?
17
18 local (or UTC, which is generally preferable). This variable sets whether
19 your clock uses local or UTC time, it has nothing to do with setting your
20 timezone.
21
22 TIMEZONE should be America/New_York
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 When puns are outlawed only outlaws will have puns.