From: "Jan Stępień" <jan@×××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xgl and direct rendering or 'Would you like Xorg or Xgl, sir?'
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:51:07
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin napisał(a):
2 > On Thursday 18 January 2007 23:47, Jan Stępień wrote:
3 >> On 18 Sty, 19:50, "Hemmann, Volker Armin"
4 >>>
5 >>> Or you can start a second X with xinit. So you would have one
6 >>> desktop (on F7)
7 >>> with Xgl and one (F8) with 'normal' X.
8 >> This method sounds interesting, but I have some doubts. Won't two
9 >> separate X servers be too big challenge for my box? I've got an Athlon
10 >> XP 3000+ (working at 2167 MHz) plus a GB of RAM. Having Xgl loaded in
11 >> the background could be deadly for performance in OpenGL apps on Xorg.
12 >> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
13 >
14 > well, I played ut2004 on my amd64 3200+/gf6600. One instance of Xgl one with
15 > naked X (and a xterm). Worked well enough.
18 I managed to launch two X servers at one time, however I'm still far
19 from being successful. My /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf
20
21 <snip>
22
23 [servers]
24 0=Standard
25 1=Xgl
26
27 [server-Standard]
28 name=Standard server
29 command=/usr/bin/X -audit 0
30 priority=0
31
32 [server-Xgl]
33 name=Xgl
34 command=/usr/bin/Xgl :1 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv:pbuffer
35 flexible=true
36 chooser=false
37 handled=true
38 priority=0
39
40 <snip>
41
42 When entering default runlevel GDM starts and launches both servers.
43 First one, Standard, has got direct rendering turned on and OpenGL is
44 rendered by fglrx driver. OpenGL apps work fine. On the other hand
45 second server, Xgl, has not got direct rendering, and what is most
46 suspicious, it uses Mesa drivers, which cause Beryl to run at an
47 absolutely unacceptable performance. Why both servers are not rendered
48 using fglrx? Have you got any ideas how to do it?
49
50 Regards,
51 Jan
54 Mail jan at stepien com pl