From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xgl and direct rendering or 'Would you like Xorg or Xgl, sir?'
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 00:17:38
1 On Thursday 18 January 2007 23:47, Jan Stępień wrote:
2 > On 18 Sty, 19:50, "Hemmann, Volker Armin"
3 >
4 > <volker.armin.hemm...@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 > > nope. It isn't.
6 > > Xgl and direct rendering are exclusive. One or the other.
7 >
8 > Pity. That would be lovely.
9 >
10 > > Yes.
11 > >
12 > > Or you can start a second X with xinit. So you would have one
13 > > desktop (on F7)
14 > > with Xgl and one (F8) with 'normal' X.
15 >
16 > This method sounds interesting, but I have some doubts. Won't two
17 > separate X servers be too big challenge for my box? I've got an Athlon
18 > XP 3000+ (working at 2167 MHz) plus a GB of RAM. Having Xgl loaded in
19 > the background could be deadly for performance in OpenGL apps on Xorg.
20 > Please correct me if I'm wrong.
21
22 well, I played ut2004 on my amd64 3200+/gf6600. One instance of Xgl one with
23 naked X (and a xterm). Worked well enough.
26 > > Any reason, you are using Xgl? No Aiglx with your card?
27 >
28 > Actually, I haven't though about it. I've got an ATI Radeon 9600XT
29 > running on proprietary drivers (emerged ati-drivers). It works fine, as
30 > long as you can tell that Radeon works fine on Linux; I haven't got any
31 > experience with NVidia's hardware. Returning to the topic, I haven't got
32 > an idea neither whether Aiglx works with my Radeon nor why I'm not using
33 > Aiglx. When I've started to play with fancy 3D servers I was using
34 > Debian, and I found an article describing quite precisely how to get Xgl
35 > running on unstable Debian. Worked fine, so I've found Xgl a nice
36 > choice. Am I mistaken?
37
38 I don't know which drivers support AIGLX, but with aiglx (or nvidia), you can
39 go from eye-candy-to-fast-to-eye-candy with two mouseclicks. (start
40 beryl-manager, choose beryl from the menu for eye candy or your other wm, for
41 speed).
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list