From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD Drive Question
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 05:32:46
1 Jesús Guerrero wrote:
2 > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:11:18 -0400
3 > Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> I'm not thinking that the problem might be the DVD-RW drive - it's a
7 >> Ricoh and the specific problem that I was having was not being able to
8 >> hear audio CD's when using kscd. I googled and found a blog by someone
9 >> who had an Inspiron 9300 with a Ricoh drive. All that really was said
10 >> was that DMA was not enabled my default and to add a certain line to the
11 >> kernel header file (instructions were more explicit than this) and then
12 >> recompile the kernel.
15 > I would first the obvious: your laptop might not have an audio cable
16 > attached to the audio output of your drive, or the drive might not have
17 > such output at all, or maybe your mother board has not an audiocd/aux
18 > audio input port. Try any audio program that can do digital audio
19 > extraction. Xmms can do that, I can't think of any other, maybe kscd
20 > has it, but you might need to enable it manually on its config. I don't
21 > really know.
22 >
23 > If that works, we found the problem.
26 Well, in response to this, I ripped a track from a CD using
27 kaudiocreator. The track ripped, encoded and played fine from the hard
28 drive.
29
30 I'm sure there isn't a problem with the audio cable not being
31 connected. The laptop is a Dell and it is pretested before leaving the
32 factory. The thing is, the laptop came with Windows Vista on it.
33 Windows Vista got booted the first time that I turned the laptop on to
34 the point where I got the setup screen that you get the first time.
35 This was only because I wasn't quick enough hitting the F2 button to get
36 into the BIOS. I never set Vista up, I installed Gentoo and the laptop
37 does not dual boot.
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list