From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD Drive Question
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 02:30:48
1 On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:11:18 -0400
2 Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I'm not thinking that the problem might be the DVD-RW drive - it's a
5 > Ricoh and the specific problem that I was having was not being able to
6 > hear audio CD's when using kscd. I googled and found a blog by someone
7 > who had an Inspiron 9300 with a Ricoh drive. All that really was said
8 > was that DMA was not enabled my default and to add a certain line to the
9 > kernel header file (instructions were more explicit than this) and then
10 > recompile the kernel.
11
12 I would first the obvious: your laptop might not have an audio cable
13 attached to the audio output of your drive, or the drive might not have
14 such output at all, or maybe your mother board has not an audiocd/aux
15 audio input port. Try any audio program that can do digital audio
16 extraction. Xmms can do that, I can't think of any other, maybe kscd
17 has it, but you might need to enable it manually on its config. I don't
18 really know.
19
20 If that works, we found the problem.
21
22 DMA problems are usually related to the performance of the drive, and the
23 amount of cpu cycles the bus sucks to do any job (with DMA mastering the bus
24 can work unattended, making your cpu happy and your battery even happier),
25 but, unless the performance is so so so bad, this is not usually a problem
26 to play an audiocd (they can be player in 1x drives, I swear cause I had one
27 years ago, and there were no UDMA by that time).
28 --
29 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list