From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] DVD Drive Question
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:14:28
1 Hi guys,
2
3 A while back, I wrote looking for help because I thought I was having
4 problems with Alsa on my Dell XPS M1710 laptop . It takes me a while,
5 but I finally clued in that the problem *might not* be Alsa. Today, I
6 tested me theory .... my ripped music files are stored on an Iomega
7 external hard drive, which was attached to my desktop. I attached the
8 drive to my laptop and I can play and hear my music files just fine.
9
10 I'm not thinking that the problem might be the DVD-RW drive - it's a
11 Ricoh and the specific problem that I was having was not being able to
12 hear audio CD's when using kscd. I googled and found a blog by someone
13 who had an Inspiron 9300 with a Ricoh drive. All that really was said
14 was that DMA was not enabled my default and to add a certain line to the
15 kernel header file (instructions were more explicit than this) and then
16 recompile the kernel.
17
18 Before I get myself in a pickle in an area where I have no experience, I
19 thought I'd ask the list for thoughts/opinions/advice.
20
21 Regards,
22
23 Colleen