From: Stratos Psomadakis <el05007@×××××××××.gr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD Drive Question
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:43:22
1 1)if you mean that you have no experince with kernel
2 configuration/complation,i suggest tha you try it...it's very useful to
3 know how to properly conifgure your kernel ;)
4 2)generally,you should enable dma for dvd/cd drives and hard disks...you
5 can check the howto at gentoo-wiki...and especially the section about
6 dma:
7 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Use_hdparm_to_improve_IDE_device_performance#DMA_mode_-d
8 3)can you give the url of the blog?
9
10 hope that i helped...
11 O/H Colleen Beamer έγραψε:
12 > Hi guys,
13 >
14 > A while back, I wrote looking for help because I thought I was having
15 > problems with Alsa on my Dell XPS M1710 laptop . It takes me a while,
16 > but I finally clued in that the problem *might not* be Alsa. Today, I
17 > tested me theory .... my ripped music files are stored on an Iomega
18 > external hard drive, which was attached to my desktop. I attached the
19 > drive to my laptop and I can play and hear my music files just fine.
20 >
21 > I'm not thinking that the problem might be the DVD-RW drive - it's a
22 > Ricoh and the specific problem that I was having was not being able to
23 > hear audio CD's when using kscd. I googled and found a blog by someone
24 > who had an Inspiron 9300 with a Ricoh drive. All that really was said
25 > was that DMA was not enabled my default and to add a certain line to the
26 > kernel header file (instructions were more explicit than this) and then
27 > recompile the kernel.
28 >
29 > Before I get myself in a pickle in an area where I have no experience, I
30 > thought I'd ask the list for thoughts/opinions/advice.
31 >
32 > Regards,
33 >
34 > Colleen