From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD Drive Question
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:00:34
1 Stratos Psomadakis wrote:
2 > 1)if you mean that you have no experince with kernel
3 > configuration/complation,i suggest tha you try it...it's very useful to
4 > know how to properly conifgure your kernel ;)
7 I've built the kernel many times using 'genkernel --menuconfig all'. I
8 meant that the blog I read said to go in and edit the kernel header file
9 and place a certain line of text into it related to DMA
10 > 2)generally,you should enable dma for dvd/cd drives and hard disks...you
11 > can check the howto at gentoo-wiki...and especially the section about
12 > dma:
13 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Use_hdparm_to_improve_IDE_device_performance#DMA_mode_-da
16 I already tried rebuilding the kernel to ensure that DMA was compiled
17 into it. It doesn't have any affect on the DVD drive - with or without
18 DMA compiled into the kernel, there is still no sound when trying to
19 play an audio CD.
20 > 3)can you give the url of the blog?
23 As requested, the blog address is:
24
25 http://krosswindz.blogspot.com/2005/10/gentoo-linux-on-dell-inspiron-9300.html
28 Regards,
29
30 Colleen
31 > hope that i helped...
32 > O/H Colleen Beamer έγραψε:
33 >
34 >> Hi guys,
35 >>
36 >> A while back, I wrote looking for help because I thought I was having
37 >> problems with Alsa on my Dell XPS M1710 laptop . It takes me a while,
38 >> but I finally clued in that the problem *might not* be Alsa. Today, I
39 >> tested me theory .... my ripped music files are stored on an Iomega
40 >> external hard drive, which was attached to my desktop. I attached the
41 >> drive to my laptop and I can play and hear my music files just fine.
42 >>
43 >> I'm not thinking that the problem might be the DVD-RW drive - it's a
44 >> Ricoh and the specific problem that I was having was not being able to
45 >> hear audio CD's when using kscd. I googled and found a blog by someone
46 >> who had an Inspiron 9300 with a Ricoh drive. All that really was said
47 >> was that DMA was not enabled my default and to add a certain line to the
48 >> kernel header file (instructions were more explicit than this) and then
49 >> recompile the kernel.
50 >>
51 >> Before I get myself in a pickle in an area where I have no experience, I
52 >> thought I'd ask the list for thoughts/opinions/advice.
53 >>
54 >> Regards,
55 >>
56 >> Colleen