From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: fonts mostly inaccessable to xterm
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 03:01:08
1 On 03/05/2017 06:52 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net> writes:
5 >> Have you tried : xterm -fa "9x15B-ISO8859-1"?
6 >
7 > I mentioned that the -fa switch was not working at all.
8 >
9 > I've since discovered that the xterms I had were compiled with useflag
10 > truetype disabled .. so `-truetype' Which meant xterm was compiled
11 > without support for -fa
12 >
13 >> Note : that works on XTerm v325 ( tested ).
14 >
15 > I've recompiled xterm with useflag truetype enabled and now I have the
16 > -fa flag so I can run the command you mentioned above now.
17 >
18 > That is a nice looking font... a little big on my view but
19 >
20 > I see something a bit off here... trying to get a smaller font of the
21 > same type I went clear down to 4x6... but those all look just like
22 > the "9x15B-ISO8859-1"
23 >
24 > xterm -fa 4x6-ISO8859-1
25 >
26 > Does not say anything by way of error or explanation just shows a
27 > terminal with the same font displayed as "9x15B-ISO8859-1"
28 >
29 > That can't be a desirable outcome.
30 >
31 > It must just be displaying the same size from 9x 8x 7x 6x 5x 4x. and
32 > doing so silently.
33 >
34 > I'm not running a font server.
35 >
36 >> The Xorg Xft font server docs specifically show how to set the "default"
37 >> font in Xterm. Look for the section 'Configuring applications'
38 >>
39 >> Reference Link :
40 >>
41 >>> https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xorg-docs/fonts/fonts.html
42 >
43 > Thanks for the link... much as I been googling I'm surprised I did not
44 > see that one already... it looks quite thorough.
49 The Xft server is really 'fontconfig'. No daemon running at all.
50
51 ---
52
53 Compile with both USE flags "truetype unicode" and the local USE flag
54 "toolbar".
55
56 That will give you control of the font size.
57 ( xterm -> VT Fonts, uxterm -> Unicode Fonts )
58
59 ---
60
61 Reference Links :