From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: fonts mostly inaccessable to xterm
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 00:52:44
1 Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net> writes:
4 > Have you tried : xterm -fa "9x15B-ISO8859-1"?
5
6 I mentioned that the -fa switch was not working at all.
7
8 I've since discovered that the xterms I had were compiled with useflag
9 truetype disabled .. so `-truetype' Which meant xterm was compiled
10 without support for -fa
11
12 > Note : that works on XTerm v325 ( tested ).
13
14 I've recompiled xterm with useflag truetype enabled and now I have the
15 -fa flag so I can run the command you mentioned above now.
16
17 That is a nice looking font... a little big on my view but
18
19 I see something a bit off here... trying to get a smaller font of the
20 same type I went clear down to 4x6... but those all look just like
21 the "9x15B-ISO8859-1"
22
23 xterm -fa 4x6-ISO8859-1
24
25 Does not say anything by way of error or explanation just shows a
26 terminal with the same font displayed as "9x15B-ISO8859-1"
27
28 That can't be a desirable outcome.
29
30 It must just be displaying the same size from 9x 8x 7x 6x 5x 4x. and
31 doing so silently.
32
33 I'm not running a font server.
34
35 > The Xorg Xft font server docs specifically show how to set the "default"
36 > font in Xterm. Look for the section 'Configuring applications'
37 >
38 > Reference Link :
39 >
40 >> https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xorg-docs/fonts/fonts.html
41
42 Thanks for the link... much as I been googling I'm surprised I did not
43 see that one already... it looks quite thorough.