From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hardening a laptop for travel
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 00:05:04
1 > > Alright I guess I'll just set up shorewall on the laptop with a config
2 > > similar to the router's. Maybe I'll set up shorewall on the other
3 > > system in my local network while I'm at it.
4 > >
5 > > - Grant
6 >
7 > shorewall is good - but overkill on a single machine. Have a look at
8 > the net-misc/monmotha script. Comprehensive, easy to understand and
9 > works well.
10 >
11 > I am a believer in letting experts do the snarly stuff - and shorewall
12 > and monmotha get a lot of feedback so they are well sorted. When you
13 > look at the code and why they are doing particular rules, the simple
14 > ones like people have suggested only offer basic protection, and
15 > possibly poor functionality.
16 >
17 > BillK
18
19 I don't know, now that I've set up shorewall on my router it seems
20 like a simple matter to set it up on another machine. I should only
21 need to edit a few config files with very light additions.
22
23 - Grant
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list