From: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unix philosophy question for old farts: the original purpose for /tmp ?
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 03:46:48
1 As I recall, tmp was often a small, fast disk drive, compared to the
2 slow lumbering washing machines that most data resided on. Several
3 sites I recall had a couple of head per track drives; one would be for
4 the swap partitions and the other was for temporary stuff that was
5 being worked on. After the edits or whatever were done, the user or
6 the system would move the stuff off of /tmp and back to the main
7 disks. Because users sometimes forgot to remove their stuff from tmp,
8 various utilities (such as tmpwatch) would reap old files on a regular
9 basis. One consultant I knew didn't trust UNIX because he put files
10 in /tmp and was astonished when they were not there several days
11 later.
12
13 These days it is more common to have /tmp be reserved for smaller
14 system stuff, and to use /usr/tmp or /var/tmp for lager user files.
15 Admins can set the environment variable TMP or TMPDIR in the login
16 profiles if necessary. It hangs on because too many programs and
17 scripts assume it is available.
20 Old time *nix fart.
21 G.Wolfe Woodbury
22 redwolfe@×××××.com
23
24 On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM, Andreas K. Huettel