From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rasp-Pi-4 Gentoo servers
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 15:31:44
1 On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 10:17 AM Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Yes, I'm aware linux does VLANs... I set up netifrc to do this (I
4 > already have some "smart" switches set up - not full layer 3.) I thought
5 > about running containers but if I ever have to do something like
6 > emergency maintenance on my server the whole LAN would be down. Seems
7 > like a no-brainer to have a tiny device like an RPi to do this.
8
9 Yup. It really depends on your requirements.
10
11 My main LAN uses a Pi as a DHCP+DNS server, for exactly this reason.
12 I don't want to be replacing a hard drive in my server and now my
13 lights/TV/whatever don't work. OpenHab runs on a Pi for this reason
14 as well.
15
16 On the other hand, for my other VLANs DHCP+DNS is handled by stuff
17 like my UniFi gateway or other embedded solutions. These don't have
18 the same requirements as my main LAN and being mostly self-contained a
19 more consumer-oriented solution is fine. I don't want to be doing
20 security updates on a bazillion Pis either.
21
22 I use VLAN on Linux more for providing services on the VLANs. Not
23 that I have much of this.
24
25 Don't think I'm running some kind of datacenter. I just have a
26 typical home LAN, and I'm running AREDN which basically needs two more
27 VLANs of its own (one for the network it serves, and one for backhaul
28 to the internet for tunnels/etc - don't want that stuff getting into
29 my LAN and the IP address space conflicts in any case). I could see
30 adding an IOT VLAN maybe, but the problem is that so much of that
31 stuff needs to interact. If I stuck my TVs/Chromecasts/etc on a
32 separate VLAN, then I couldn't cast to them from my phone or anything
33 else unless it was on that VLAN too.
34
35 > I'm not so sure I'll try installing Gentoo on it though, it doesn't
36 > really seem suitable for compiling tasks. I'm pretty sure the kit I
37 > ordered has a card with Raspbian on it, I'll check that out first.
38
39 I run Raspbian on my Pis for this reason. If I had some niche use
40 where Gentoo added value I'd go with it, but otherwise it just seems
41 too painful.
42
43 As it is I have to compile kernel modules on my RockPro64 boards and
44 that takes forever even without having to build the actual kernel.
45 When I've built kernels on those while troubleshooting issues with
46 PCIe it would literally take an hour or more.
47
48 If you do want to run Gentoo on a Pi you really should be cross-compiling it.
49
50 Something like Gentoo Reference Platform on steroids would certainly
51 be nice for ARM.
54 Rich