From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rasp-Pi-4 Gentoo servers
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2020 07:14:01
1 On 29/2/20 11:31 pm, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 10:17 AM Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Yes, I'm aware linux does VLANs... I set up netifrc to do this (I
4 >> already have some "smart" switches set up - not full layer 3.) I thought
5 >> about running containers but if I ever have to do something like
6 >> emergency maintenance on my server the whole LAN would be down. Seems
7 >> like a no-brainer to have a tiny device like an RPi to do this.
8 > Yup. It really depends on your requirements.
9 >
10 > My main LAN uses a Pi as a DHCP+DNS server, for exactly this reason.
11 > I don't want to be replacing a hard drive in my server and now my
12 > lights/TV/whatever don't work. OpenHab runs on a Pi for this reason
13 > as well.
14
15 Keep in mind that rpi are not the only cheap, capable arm hardware out
16 there.
17
18 I am using a number of odroid devices, including an N2 with a gentoo
19 based kernel and a gentoo aarch64 userland.  Its used for lxc containers
20 for asterisk, dns, webdav, mail, calendaring and web running on the N2
21 backed by an Odroid HC2 moosefs cluster (though I am using an intel
22 powered Odroid H2 for the master).
23
24 Its all working rather well now the initial install/config stages are
25 over.  Part of the gain over the pi's is the use of eMMC storage over
26 sdcards - almost 5 times faster in my tests.  The 4G of ram has proven
27 quite adequate so far - even the asterisk latency is better than my
28 previous QEMU/KVM on intel setup.
29
30 I have currently have rpi 1B, 3B and a zero and while the specs for the
31 rpi4 are better ... its not the best out there.
32
33 BillK