From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rasp-Pi-4 Gentoo servers
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2020 15:38:46
1 On 2/29/20 11:13 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 >
3 > Keep in mind that rpi are not the only cheap, capable arm hardware out
4 > there.
5 >
6 > I am using a number of odroid devices, including an N2 with a gentoo
7 > based kernel and a gentoo aarch64 userland.  Its used for lxc containers
8 > for asterisk, dns, webdav, mail, calendaring and web running on the N2
9 > backed by an Odroid HC2 moosefs cluster (though I am using an intel
10 > powered Odroid H2 for the master).
11 >
12 > Its all working rather well now the initial install/config stages are
13 > over.  Part of the gain over the pi's is the use of eMMC storage over
14 > sdcards - almost 5 times faster in my tests.  The 4G of ram has proven
15 > quite adequate so far - even the asterisk latency is better than my
16 > previous QEMU/KVM on intel setup.
17 >
18 > I have currently have rpi 1B, 3B and a zero and while the specs for the
19 > rpi4 are better ... its not the best out there.
20 >
21 > BillK
24 I am aware of other devices but the RPi (afaict) is the only one sold
25 within the country and not subject to import duty/fees/taxes and the
26 related shipping delays because of those. :(
27
28 Dan