From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rasp-Pi-4 Gentoo servers
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2020 14:34:06
1 On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 2:13 AM William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 >
3 > Keep in mind that rpi are not the only cheap, capable arm hardware out
4 > there.
7 I completely agree. Anytime I'm looking at an application I consider
8 the SBCs available as options. Certainly the odroids are highly
9 spoken of.
10
11 Main advantage of the Pi is its ubiquity - just about anything you
12 could want is already packaged and documented for it. It is also
13 pretty cheap.
14
15 > backed by an Odroid HC2 moosefs cluster (though I am using an intel
16 > powered Odroid H2 for the master).
17
18 I considered an HC2 for lizardfs. My problem with it is that it has a
19 single SATA port, which means you're buying a $50 SBC for every hard
20 drive in your cluster.
21
22 For a single drive per node it is probably your best bet. However, my
23 chunkservers are:
24 ~$65 RockPro64
25 $20 used LSI HBA
26 $5 wall wart
27 $25 cheap ATX PSU
28 $5 ATX power switch
29 $5 extra SATA cables
30 $5 powered 16x PCIe riser cable (these are a bit hard to find)
31
32 That is ~$125, and will support 16 hard drives. You're saving money
33 on the 3rd drive per node. If you want some kind of enclosure for the
34 drives you'll pay maybe another $5/drive.
35
36 The other option that might be worth considering if you don't mind
37 losing some bandwidth to the drives is just using SATA3 and hubs/etc
38 and external drives. I'm shucking external drives anyway. So, any
39 SBC with a SATA3 port would work for that, with nothing else needed.
40 I could see USB3 bandwidth (shared) being a constraint if you're
41 rebuilding, but it would keep up with gigabit ethernet.
42
43 Oh, and for any kind of NAS/etc solution make sure that whatever you
44 get has gigabit ethernet. The Pi3s at least don't have that - not
45 sure about the Pi4. Wouldn't help in a Pi3 anyway as I think the LAN
46 goes through the internal USB2 bus - the Pi is pretty lousy for IO in
47 general - at least conventional PC IO. That GPIO breakout is of
48 course nice for projects.
51 Rich