From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rasp-Pi-4 Gentoo servers
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2020 15:37:32
1 On 3/1/20 6:33 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 2:13 AM William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Keep in mind that rpi are not the only cheap, capable arm hardware out
5 >> there.
8 > I completely agree. Anytime I'm looking at an application I consider
9 > the SBCs available as options. Certainly the odroids are highly
10 > spoken of.
11 >
12 > Main advantage of the Pi is its ubiquity - just about anything you
13 > could want is already packaged and documented for it. It is also
14 > pretty cheap.
15 >
16 >> backed by an Odroid HC2 moosefs cluster (though I am using an intel
17 >> powered Odroid H2 for the master).
18 >
19 > I considered an HC2 for lizardfs. My problem with it is that it has a
20 > single SATA port, which means you're buying a $50 SBC for every hard
21 > drive in your cluster.
22 >
23 > For a single drive per node it is probably your best bet. However, my
24 > chunkservers are:
25 > ~$65 RockPro64
26 > $20 used LSI HBA
27 > $5 wall wart
28 > $25 cheap ATX PSU
29 > $5 ATX power switch
30 > $5 extra SATA cables
31 > $5 powered 16x PCIe riser cable (these are a bit hard to find)
32 >
33 > That is ~$125, and will support 16 hard drives. You're saving money
34 > on the 3rd drive per node. If you want some kind of enclosure for the
35 > drives you'll pay maybe another $5/drive.
36 >
37 > The other option that might be worth considering if you don't mind
38 > losing some bandwidth to the drives is just using SATA3 and hubs/etc
39 > and external drives. I'm shucking external drives anyway. So, any
40 > SBC with a SATA3 port would work for that, with nothing else needed.
41 > I could see USB3 bandwidth (shared) being a constraint if you're
42 > rebuilding, but it would keep up with gigabit ethernet.
43 >
44 > Oh, and for any kind of NAS/etc solution make sure that whatever you
45 > get has gigabit ethernet. The Pi3s at least don't have that - not
46 > sure about the Pi4. Wouldn't help in a Pi3 anyway as I think the LAN
47 > goes through the internal USB2 bus - the Pi is pretty lousy for IO in
48 > general - at least conventional PC IO. That GPIO breakout is of
49 > course nice for projects.
52 I was reading the Pi4 has true gigabit now, thanks to its USB3 ports.
53
54 Dan