From: Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to delete the previous environment settings directly after chrooting prior to reading .bashrc ?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 22:29:05
1 On 02/18/2017 02:00 AM, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net> [17-02-18 07:52]:
3 >> On 2017-02-17 17:40, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> is there any clean way to delete the environment completly
6 >>> right after chrooting into a alternate root installation
7 >>> -- except using 'login <user>' after chrooting?
8 >>>
9 >>> Thanks in advance for any keeping the environment clean! ;)
10 >>
11 >> Run
12 >>
13 >> env -i sh
14 >>
15 >> as the command in chroot.
16 >>
17 >> I wish it was this easy in the "real world" :-(
18 >>
19 >> --
20 >> Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
21 >> Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
22 >> Don't clear-text sign: http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html
25 > Hi Ian,
26 >
27 > this puts a big smile onto my face:
28 > Before posting a did several experiments with 'env -i' in
29 > several places (bashrc and such)....nothing works,
30 > THIS one you mentioned I left out for reasons I dont know.
31 > :)
32 >
33 > And yes(!): I also would like to have some instances
34 > of 'env -i' running for several purposes not limited
35 > to the phusical/nature environment only.
36 > ;)
37 >
38 > To the future!....but not without my commandline...
39 >
40 > Cheers
41 > Meino
47 You probably want to keep at least the TERM environment variable; to do
48 so, use something like `env -i TERM=$TERM ...`. The TERM environment
49 variable is generally only set by the terminal emulator you use (or by
50 agetty(8) for console logins); the default is to treat everything as
51 "dumb", which breaks anything using curses (like vim, nano, etc.).
54 Jonathan Callen