From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] backup to a cold-swap drive
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 12:46:40
1 On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 16:24 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 29.04.2010 02:38, schrieb Iain Buchanan:
3 > > Hi & thanks,
4 > >
5 > > On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 17:31 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
6 > [...]
7 > >
8 > >> If you can live with just one big partition as a backup (probably with
9 > >> separate /boot), you should replace fstab and grub.conf on the backup
10 > >> medium and blacklist them from the files which you want to back up.
11 > >
12 > > why wouldn't I backup fstab and grub.conf as well? If my internal disk
13 > > dies, I assume I'll swap them over, meaning grub and fstab will have to
14 > > be the same.
15 >
16 > I think you misunderstood me or I didn't explain it correctly. I try it
17 > again:
18
19 [snip]
20
21 ah, NOW I get it :)
22
23 [snip]
24
25 > Ah, I see what you mean. I've never worked with the file alteration
26 > monitor (FAM) but once evaluated inotify for some administrative
27 > purposes. AFAIK they are not scalable good enough to work on a system
28 > wide basis. For example, I think the default limit of observable files
29 > with inotify is 8192.
30
31 hm, there goes that idea! Is there any kernel based "watch" on all file
32 based I/O that I could queue up somehow? Just thinking aloud here. I
33 know "everything is a file", but no doubt I could watch all write
34 operations; filter out /dev and put the rest into a file; and then use
35 it like an rsync file-list...
36
37 > > thanks for the tips :) rsync will at least get me going quickly.
38 > > Yesterday I tried iotop to with dd - some slowness but otherwise quite
39 > > nice.
42 > To reduce the performance impact, you can also use the ionice command.
43
44 whoops, that's what I meant. Even with ionice, there was some
45 noticeable delay when switching screens, opening programs, etc. More so
46 when my RAM had been swapped from the large amount of I/O (I assume). I
47 didn't try ionice with nice.
48
49 thanks,
53 One family builds a wall, two families enjoy it.