From: Michel Catudal <mcatudal@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 16:30:14
1 Le 2015-08-28 07:55, Tom H a écrit :
2 > On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 7:36 PM, Michel Catudal <mcatudal@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> Le 2015-08-27 15:18, Fernando Rodriguez a écrit :
4 >>> Who are you to tell them what they should work on? They're acting like
5 >>> FOSS developers, many of whom work for free or underpaid so they work on
6 >>> whatever the fuck they want. The problem with FOSS is that we have too many
7 >>> idiots that like to rant about what they don't like instead of doing
8 >>> something about it. If all those energies went to improving the software
9 >>> FOSS would be so much better.
10 >> No one is asking them to do that. As mentioned before it works with some
11 >> override. A solution to the problem would be to remove the arrogance toward
12 >> people who want grub on a partition and remove the part in the installer
13 >> that refuses to install it unless you give it an override. If I say write
14 >> the bootloader on the partition, that should work as requested, they can
15 >> still write a comment that they do not like us doing it but should not keep
16 >> us from doing it. If it doesn't work we will see it soon enough.
17 > So you want the Gentoo grub2 maintainer to patch grub2 to remove the
18 > warning about partitions and the need for "--force" so that you can
19 > use "grub2-install /dev/sda1"?
20 >
21 > Isn't simpleer and more efficient for you to use "--force"?!
24 By having this messages it makes the maintainers of some distributions assume that it is impossible and will do everything in their power to not allow you to install on the partition. That is the old Microsoft way of protecting the user against himself.
25 That is fine for morons but people who know what they are doing should be allowed to wacked their system when they do stupid thing.
26
27 You probably know a few Linux distributions targeted to people who shouldn't be allowed anywere near a computer. So if we decide to install one of those to help one of those users we have some problem. Once I had that it got remove and I had to answer to
28 the user, sorry I cannot allow this crappy linux distribution on my computer.
29
30 Michel
33 For Linux Software visit
34 http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal