From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Searching something like a merge between gnu-screen and cutecom...
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 01:14:00
1 Hello!
2
3 On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 10:41 AM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > this is complicate for me to explain...let' try it nvertheless ;)
7 >
8 > I am experimenting with FORTH (punyforth) on an ESP8266.
9 > FORTH has a REPL, which -- especially in the beginning -- is
10 > very helpful to try things out.
11 >
12 > With cutecom I can connect to the ESP8266 and get a response.
13 > Unfortunately - in this particular case - cutecom separates the
14 > input line from what the ESP8266 i sending back.
17 Like this (https://arduino.stackexchange.com/questions/24578/how-to-filter-a-blank-line-received-over-serial-esp8266)?
18
19 It sounds like the firmware on the chip is written incorrectly. If it
20 is doing something like echoing lines back with \r\n at the end you
21 can usually configure your terminal software to translate them to \n,
22 but if it's doing it sporadically you may need to put a layer in
23 between you and the terminal.
24
25 > With Arduino devices I had no problem to do the same thing with
26 > gnu-screen like this
27 >
28 > screen /dev/ttyUSB1 115200
29 >
30 > ...with the ESP8266 (using the same baudrate as with cutecom
31 > before) the cursor get glued in the upper left corner.
32 > Hitting a key, CTRL-D. CTRL-C, <RETURN> and other obvious
33 > candidates does not help. The only waty out is killall.
36 I think screen can support dumb terminals, but this behavior makes it
37 sound like it is expecting smart hardware terminal feedback. Check the
38 manual.
39
40 > Now I am in search of a "real terminal"-like thing, which
41 > allows me to interactively connect to the ESP8266 while
42 > maintaining the chronological sequence of my inputs and
43 > the returns of the ESP8266.
44 >
45 > I tried minicom, but I always dislike the way that beast
46 > is configured,
47 >
48 > Is there anything reliable available...may be even without a gui?
51 http://pyserial.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tools.html#module-serial.tools.miniterm
52
53 pySerial ships with a minimal terminal emulator which is perfect for
54 reading device output. I tend to use it above anything else because it
55 is sufficient and I am generally working with Python. There is no
56 readline support, but you didn't ask about that.
57
58 Importantly it doesn't cook the input in any way or expect the
59 terminal to do anything, so you can use it to better figure out what
60 the ESP8266 firmware is doing.
61
62 Cheers,
63 R0b0t1