From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clamav and spamassassin
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 22:56:34
1 On 12/03/2011 02:52 PM, Grant wrote:
2 > I haven't set up any antivirus measures on my Gentoo systems so I
3 > think I should. Is clamav run as a scheduled filesystem scanner on
4 > each system and as an email scanner on the mail server all that's
5 > necessary?
6
7 Nobody (as far as I know?) scans linux filesystems unless there's a
8 legal requirement or the files might wind up on a Windows box.
11 > I'm currently greylisting email to prevent spam from getting through.
12 > It catches a lot, but more and more gets through. I'm not using any
13 > mailfilters now and If I set up a clamav mailfilter I think I may as
14 > well set up a spamassassin mailfilter to take the place of
15 > greylisting. Is this the best guide for clamav and spamassassin:
16
17 SpamAssassin shouldn't take the place of greylisting; they reject
18 different stuff. Keep the greylisting unless the delays bother you, but
19 use postscreen to do it (see below).
22 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mailfilter-guide.xml
23 >
24 > Could I run into any problems with clamav or spamassassin that might
25 > make we wish I hadn't implemented them?
26
27 Yeah. The first is false positives. The second, related problem is that
28 you'll have to manage a quarantine unless you stick amavisd-new in front
29 of the postfix queue.
30
31 It's in that respect that the tutorial is outdated; otherwise, it looks
32 good (I just skimmed it).
33
34 There is great benefit to the before-queue setup: mail will never
35 disappear. Senders either get a rejection, or the mail is delivered.
36 With the after-queue setup, you can no longer reject or else you'll be
37 backscattering. So, you either deliver the spam, or you quarantine it
38 (very bad if it's a false positive).
39
40 The downside is that you use more resources: one amavisd-new per
41 connection. However, the addition of postscreen to postfix has largely
42 ameliorated this. Since postscreen rejects most of the junk, amavis only
43 gets started for smtpd sessions that are likely to succeed.
44
45 The easiest way to migrate is through incremental improvement. We used
46 to use a system like the one in that guide. I enabled postscreen over
47 the course of a week, and retired postgrey, which we had been using for
48 greylisting. Once that was working properly, I simply dropped the
49 content_filter in favor of smtpd_proxy_filter to move amavis in front of
50 the queue.