From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] r8169 unable to apply firmware patch
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 05:13:01
1 > That fixed it.  Thank you very much.  I'm a little puzzled because I
2 > don't get the "unable to apply firmware patch" messages on my desktop
3 > which also uses the r8169 driver and doesn't have linux-firmware
4 > installed.
5
6 Maybe you have an older firmware installed from a different package?
7 Run emerge -p linux-firmware on that box to see if there's a blocker.
8
9 > I guess linux-firmware is a package released by the kernel folks
10 > containing certain firmware blobs?  It looks like rt73 is in there but
11 > not b43.
12
13 Maybe these?
14 /lib/firmware/brcm/bcm4329-fullmac-4.bin
15 /lib/firmware/brcm/bcm4329-fullmac-4.txt
16 /lib/firmware/brcm/bcm43xx-0.fw
17 /lib/firmware/brcm/bcm43xx_hdr-0.fw
18 /lib/firmware/LICENCE.broadcom_bcm43xx