From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Old devfs files in /etc
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 15:47:15
1 051102 Dale wrote:
2 > I switched to udev a while back
3 > and have some old devfs files left in /etc :
4 > YES /etc/devfs.d
5 > YES /etc/devfs.d/.keep
6 > N/A /etc/modules.devfs.256
7 > N/A /etc/config-archive/etc/udev/scripts/ide-devfs.sh
8 > N/A /etc/config-archive/etc/udev/scripts/ide-devfs.sh.dist
9 > YES /etc/modprobe.devfs
10 > N/A /etc/modprobe.devfs.256
11 > YES /etc/modprobe.devfs.old
12 > YES /etc/modules.devfs
13 > YES /etc/devfsd.conf
14 > Can I get rid of these files and not kill anything?
15 > I already unmerged devfsd.
16
17 I found similar stuff lying around after going over to Udev some time ago
18 & have removed the items marked 'YES' & rebooted successfully;
19 the others (N/A) are not present in my machine.
20 /etc/devfs.d contained svgalib , which I hadn't remerged for a while,
21 but after merging a newer version, it didn't restore that file
22 (and tried to remove /etc/devfs.d/svgalib , which wasn't there);
23 I tested Mplayer (which uses Svgalib) & it runs ok.
24 As always for safety in such cases, I created a dir /etc/devfs-old ,
25 into which I moved the items I have dropped,
26 so that I could easily restore them if there were a problem:
27 after a few days, I'll probably remember to delete it.
28
29 Holly's comments are sensible, as always,
30 but it's a good idea to tidy things up every so often
31 as part of understanding what's going on in your box,
32 which is the real point of using Gentoo in the first place (smile).
36 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
37 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
38 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list