From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Old devfs files in /etc
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 16:15:34
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 >051102 Dale wrote:
6 >>I switched to udev a while back
7 >>and have some old devfs files left in /etc :
8 >> YES /etc/devfs.d
9 >> YES /etc/devfs.d/.keep
10 >> N/A /etc/modules.devfs.256
11 >> N/A /etc/config-archive/etc/udev/scripts/ide-devfs.sh
12 >> N/A /etc/config-archive/etc/udev/scripts/ide-devfs.sh.dist
13 >> YES /etc/modprobe.devfs
14 >> N/A /etc/modprobe.devfs.256
15 >> YES /etc/modprobe.devfs.old
16 >> YES /etc/modules.devfs
17 >> YES /etc/devfsd.conf
18 >>Can I get rid of these files and not kill anything?
19 >>I already unmerged devfsd.
24 >Holly's comments are sensible, as always,
25 >but it's a good idea to tidy things up every so often
26 >as part of understanding what's going on in your box,
27 >which is the real point of using Gentoo in the first place (smile).
31 That is what I have been doing the last couple weeks, cleaning up a
32 bit. If it was not for all the compiling and all, I would just start
33 from scratch. I have a current snapshot and all the distfiles anyway.
34 I just hate to do it. It sounds to much like winders to me.
35
36 I usually back up the whole /etc directory. That saved me when my
37 inittab files got blanked somehow. It wouldn't boot without it for some
38 reason. No clue why. LOL That was my humor OK.
39
40 I'll make a back-up after the current merge gets done and slide them out
41 the door. The ones in config-archive are from using dispatch-conf
42 thing. I generally use etc-update though. To old for new tricks. O_O
43
44 Dale
47 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list