From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Purchase and setup of monitor calibration device
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 20:11:27
1 On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 06:45:09PM +0100, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hey gurus
5 > >
6 > > I may soon get me a shiny (not in the sense of glossy, mind you) new
7 > > monitor. Along with it, I’m planning on purchasing a colorimeter to
8 > > properly calibrate it. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a
9 > > device that runs well with Linux?
10
11 > If your monitor has a wide color gamut then you probably need a more
12 > sophisticated device however. In that case a ColorHug AFAIK probably
13 > would also not work for you.
14
15 I thought about getting a wide-gamut display, namely a Dell with rgb-LEDs,
16 but in the end decided against it because its quality seems to fluctuate a
17 lot. And while I do some photography, I don’t do it professionally or deal
18 with printing.
19
20 > If your monitor don't have a wide gamut but have a LED backlight then
21 > some of the cheaper colorimeters are also not suitable because LEDs
22 > doesn't emit a continuous spectrum and thus can "confuse" older
23 > colorimeters like the Spyder2 AFAIK.
24
25 That’s good to know. I decided for an Eizo with a standard IPS panel and
26 probably white LEDs. It is reported to have a good colorspace coverage,
27 though. But as I mentioned, ideally I also want to use it on my laptop which
28 has a very bad TN panel with LEDs. Perhaps I could even use it on my very
29 old CCFL monitor which is still in very good shape.
30
31 > That's the reason why I bought a new monitor (Samsung U32D970Q) some
32 > weeks ago that is able to do a hardware calibration (different
33 > colorimeters an spectrometers are supported).
34
35 Monitors with hardware calibration are kind-a out of my range still. :)
36
37 Thanks for your input so far.
38 --
39 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
40 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any social network.
41
42 A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.