From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Purchase and setup of monitor calibration device
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 17:47:38
1 Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hey gurus
4 >
5 > I may soon get me a shiny (not in the sense of glossy, mind you) new
6 > monitor. Along with it, I’m planning on purchasing a colorimeter to
7 > properly calibrate it. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a
8 > device that runs well with Linux?
9 >
10 > It doesn’t have to be a super-pro device, but no el-cheapo either.
11 > I’ll need it mostly for photo editing and the warm feeling of having
12 > an above-average setup. *g* Oh and I want to improve my laptop
13 > experience, because those things usually come with crappy screens in
14 > the first place. So I’m looking at a price range of no more than 150€.
15 >
16 > Also, I’m looking for info on how to set up KDE (or the entire
17 > system?) to use the thusly generated colour profiles. So any food for
18 > thought?
19 >
20 > Thanks
21
22 If you don't wanna spent much money you can buy a used Datacolor Spyder
23 device on ebay. The older ones (e.g. Spyder2) are really cheap, but also
24 very slow. :-)
25
26 If your monitor has a wide color gamut then you probably need a more
27 sophisticated device however. In that case a ColorHug AFAIK probably
28 would also not work for you.
29
30 If your monitor don't have a wide gamut but have a LED backlight then
31 some of the cheaper colorimeters are also not suitable because LEDs
32 doesn't emit a continuous spectrum and thus can "confuse" older
33 colorimeters like the Spyder2 AFAIK.
34
35 You really should check this out because if your colorimeter doesn't
36 work proper for your monitor the result will be worse than without
37 calibration. :-)
38
39 A good software is media-gfx/argyllcms. Some time ago I tested it with
40 a Spyder2 and also with a X-Rite i1 Display Pro. Argyll was
41 better then the software delivered with both colorcheckers.
42
43 Nevertheless it was not possible to proper calibrate my wide color
44 gamut monitor because it was a rarely used model (Acer AL2723W) that is
45 not supported by the Spyder2 or i1 Display Pro.
46
47 There are ways to calibrate such a unsupported wide gamut monitor with
48 a Spyder2 or i1 Display Pro (and other colorimeters) anyhow, but then
49 you need a calibration file for argyll made with an spectrometer
50 especially for this kind of monitor or a calibration software from the
51 monitor manufacturer that is adapted for the monitor model.
52
53 That's the reason why I bought a new monitor (Samsung U32D970Q) some
54 weeks ago that is able to do a hardware calibration (different
55 colorimeters an spectrometers are supported).
56 One advantage with hardware calibration is that you don't have to deal
57 with icc profiles.
58
59 If you work with icc profiles you often have problems with color
60 banding/clipping and improper greyscales. This also depends on how you
61 can adjust colors and gamma with the settings of the monitor itself. If
62 you do all the calibration with an icc profile and the colors/gamma
63 of your monitor are way off then the result will be probably not very
64 good.
65
66 Sorry, but my English is not good enough to explain the whole
67 background in an understandable way. :-)
70 Regards
71 wabe