From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: configure wlan0 route metric
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 16:05:18
1 On 13 April 2011 16:35, Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 01:50:02PM +0200, deadeyes wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I was searching around the gentoo forums for ifmetric and found this piece of
5 >> code that can be added in /etc/conf.d/net:
6 >> postup() {
7 >>    local metric=0
8 >>
9 >>    case "${IFACE}" in
10 >>       eth0) metric=0 ;;
11 >>       eth1) metric=1 ;;
12 >>    esac
13 >>    ifmetric "${IFACE}" "${metric}"
14 >>
15 >>    return 0
16 >> }
19 > Hey, that works very well here -- thanks!
20 > Been wanting that solution for some time now.
21 > :)
22
23 My apologies! It took some time between reading your message and
24 replying to it - by which time I had forgotten the finer points.
25
26 Whether you set NIC priority in the /etc/conf.d/net file or in a post
27 up script, the result is the same. One NIC will have a higher
28 priority than another for ALL connections. This is because NICs do
29 not do NATing. They will send all packets out to the gateway
30 (192.168.1.1) and the router at the gateway will determine which
31 packet is forwarded to the Internet and which to the LAN. So, if you
32 do not want to prioritise one NIC over another, it may be better to
33 use iptables to route LAN packets via a particular NIC instead.
36 Regards,
37 Mick