From: deadeyes <gvm999@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: configure wlan0 route metric
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:54:59
1 Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > Hey, that works very well here -- thanks!
5 > > Been wanting that solution for some time now.
6 > > :)
7 >
8 > My apologies! It took some time between reading your message and
9 > replying to it - by which time I had forgotten the finer points.
10 >
11 > Whether you set NIC priority in the /etc/conf.d/net file or in a post
12 > up script, the result is the same. One NIC will have a higher
13 > priority than another for ALL connections. This is because NICs do
14 > not do NATing. They will send all packets out to the gateway
15 > (192.168.1.1) and the router at the gateway will determine which
16 > packet is forwarded to the Internet and which to the LAN. So, if you
17 > do not want to prioritise one NIC over another, it may be better to
18 > use iptables to route LAN packets via a particular NIC instead.
21 Great to see this helps someone else as well :)
22
23 @Mick: I am not sure if I fully understand what you mean. Following the routing
24 table the most specific route will be used, which is not the default route, but
25 the route to the local lan. In this case the metric is important as there are
26 multiple interfaces with the same network.
27 And what do you mean by setting NIC priority (using the metric_eth0 config
28 option?) using /etc/conf.d/net or in a post script? Both have different outcomes
29 it looks to me.
30
31 Greetings