From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Console fonts revisited
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2015 05:21:13
1 waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 08:45:43PM +0100, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote
4 >
5 > > Try consolefont="ter-124n". But as Peter said, the terminus-font
6 > > needs some X libraries. I never noticed that, because on my system
7 > > X was already installed before I installed
8 > > media-fonts/terminus-font.
9 >
10 > I couldn't get anything less than 120 columns across. Here's the
11 > scriptlet "listres" I used to check all the terminal fonts. Note that
12 > it does *NOT* begin with #!/bin/bash and is not chmod'ed executable.
13 > That's because COLUMNS and LINES are not environment variables, but
14 > are shell variables. So they are not inherited by a deeper script.
15 >
16 > cd /usr/share/consolefonts
17 > for cfont in ter-*
18 > do
19 > setfont ${cfont}
20 > echo "${cfont} ${COLUMNS} ${LINES}"
21 > done
22 > cd
23 >
24 > I had to "source" it to stay within the same shell level...
25 >
26 > . listres > /dev/shm/screensize.txt
27
28 That's because the fonts hight is twice its width. The biggest terminus
29 font size is 32px. That's in fact a 16x32 matrix. With a screen size of
30 1920x1080 that will give you 120 columns and 33 lines.
31
32 It seems that there is no bigger console font available.
33
34 Sorry, I really didn't considered that well enough before I made my
35 suggestion. If I would have used my brain I would have realized that
36 I'm using ter-132n and have 240 columns and 67 lines on my UHD screen
37 and that this font size would give you 120x33 chars on your screen.
38
39 My screen is huge (32") and so the font is readable from my working
40 distance. Usually I only work on the console when I make backups in
41 single user mode or when I'm testing different options for the GPU
42 driver. So I can live with that fontsize. But nevertheless I would also
43 appreciate a somewhat bigger font.
44
45 Just now I searched for BDF in the package DB (eix bdf) and found some
46 tools for converting X fonts to console fonts. I never used these tools
47 and so cannot say if they are helpful for you. If you achieve good
48 results with these programs please give me a hint.
51 Regards
52 wabe