From: Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Not able to login as root after update
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 03:34:34
1 On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:29 AM, <kwkhui@××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 07:17:45 +0530
3 > Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> There's some weird problem that has cropped up after update yesterday.
8 >> I'm not able to login as root on the tty nor as su -l and neither
9 >> using sudo su -l. Thankfully I had sudo, so I can get root by sudo -i,
10 >> or else it would've been a complete disaster.
11 >>
12 >> The packages which were upgraded yesterday which can be causing this
13 >> is pambase, shadow and glibc.
14 >>
15 >> Anybody has idea how to fix this?
16 >>
17 >> (PS: I know very well that logging in as root is a bad practice and I
18 >> never do that, I just use su -l, so no flames please).
21 > If you mean shadow-4.1.5-r1 and pambase-20120417, read the previous
22 > pambase/shadow warning thread from 3 days ago, or bug #412721, or you
23 > can read it on phajdan.jr's blog
24 >
25 > http://phajdan-jr.blogspot.com/2012/04/watch-out-for-shadow-415-r1-and-pambase.html
26 >
27 > Anyway, if you upgrade glibc, you must recompile pam
28 > afterwards manually (sorry it wasn't clear if you recompiled pam after
29 > glibc upgrade) since it uses dlopen() which isn't catched by
30 > revdep-rebuild. Safest is to recompile the toolchain, then system, then
31 > world, but that could take a long time.
32 >
33 > Kerwin.
34
35 When glibc comes with @world updates, emerge usually merges glibc
36 first and then the rest.
37 Ugh, I'd run the update command inside tmux and this issue caused me
38 not to check tmux after update. Running dispatch-conf fixed it,
39 thanks.
42 Nilesh Govindarajan
43 http://nileshgr.com