From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading to gcc 4.1 , question on recompiling
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:58:38
1 Philip Webb schrieb:
2
3 > A lot of outstanding bugs seem to affect only a few special users.
4
5 Like those, using KDE. But I wouldn't say, that those a just a
6 "few".
7
8 > Yet again, Gentoo should make a 4th category by making "stable" = "server"
9 > & splitting "testing" into "newly unmasked" & "desktop-ready":
10
11 Why? ~ is testing. The only problem I had, which caused me to
12 start the short thread, was, that the gcc upgrade doc *used to*
13 say, that upgrading from gcc 3.4.x to 4.1.x implied no risk.
14
15 > many "testing" packages today are in fact desktop-ready,
16 > ie the remaining bugs will be rare & easy to recover from.
17
18 Yep, quite easy to recover - recompile everything.
19
20 Alexander Skwar
21 --
22 Adam and Eve had many advantages, but the principal one was, that they escaped
23 teething.
24 -- Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar"
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list