From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading to gcc 4.1 , question on recompiling
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 00:15:55
1 060719 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > 060719 Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> I upgraded to 4.1.1 a couple of weeks ago & haven't done a mass recompile
4 >> & I have yet to run into any problem
5 > I recompiled glibc, to be on the safe side
6 > and KDE because it did have problems, but nothing else caused a problem.
7
8 Yes, that's my situation: I also upgraded to Glibc 2.4 & KDE 3.5.3 ;
9 IIRC the only additional problem was a tiny glitch with Krusader,
10 which wasn't really related to GCC 4.1.1 .
11
12 > Running testing, most packages wb recompiled within a month anyway.
13
14 I have a lot of "testing" packages, which run without problems.
15 A lot of outstanding bugs seem to affect only a few special users.
16 Yet again, Gentoo should make a 4th category by making "stable" = "server"
17 & splitting "testing" into "newly unmasked" & "desktop-ready":
18 many "testing" packages today are in fact desktop-ready,
19 ie the remaining bugs will be rare & easy to recover from.
20
21 > I wanted to see if the 'kdehiddenvisibility' flag made any difference
22
23 What was your experience ? Do you recommend others (me) to use it ?
27 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
28 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
29 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list