From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: emailgrant@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System maintenance procedure?
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 21:30:06
1 On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 13:07:28 -0800
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > So they are not really the same thing at all.I'm not saying they're
5 > > the same, I'm saying it looks like @preserved-rebuild does a subset
6 > > of the things revdep-rebuild does.  Why run @preserved-rebuild
7 > > followed by revdep-rebuild if the end result is the same as running
8 > > revdep-rebuild?  I'm sure I'm missing something here but I don't
9 > > know what it is.
10
11 OK, I see what you mean.
12
13 I'm a pessimistic sysadmin who's written a lot of code. I know bug
14 factories when I see one :-)
15
16 @preserved-rebuild is an excellent idea, but I haven't seen anything
17 yet to convince me that it is bug-free enough yet to the point where I
18 can drop revdep-rebuild entirely. So I still want the safety net of
19 running revdep-rebuild occasionally just in case there's something
20 @preserved-rebuild missed.
21
22 It's also a good way to find bugs in @preserved-rebuild
25 Alan McKinnon