From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System maintenance procedure?
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 21:09:13
1 > > > The logic is:
2 > > >
3 > > > Rebuild busted packages that portage already knows about
4 > > > (@preserved-rebuild), then get rid of oudated packages and finally
5 > > > revdep-rebuild to fix anything that --depclean broke.
6 > > >
7 > > > @preserved-rebuild is getting very good at what it does lately
8 > > > (supported in all recent portage version including stable IIRC), as
9 > > > is --depclean, so revdep-rebuild seldom finds anything to do these
10 > > > days.
11 > > >
12 > > > --
13 > > > Alan McKinnon
14 > >
15 > > If revdep-rebuild does everything that @preserved-rebuild does and
16 > > more, why run @preserved-rebuild at all?
17 >
18 > @preserved-rebuild does it correctly, does not break your system and
19 > does not leave it in an indeterminate state while you spend hours
20 > trying to figure out what went on.
21 >
22 > revdep-rebuild does all those things (and also gets around to fixing
23 > broken libs while taking it's own sweet time to do it).
24 >
25 > So they are not really the same thing at all.
26
27 I'm not saying they're the same, I'm saying it looks like
28 @preserved-rebuild does a subset of the things revdep-rebuild does. Why
29 run @preserved-rebuild followed by revdep-rebuild if the end result is the
30 same as running revdep-rebuild? I'm sure I'm missing something here but I
31 don't know what it is.
32
33 - Grant
36 > Basically, portage removes old .so files when doing upgrades. If the
37 > so-name changes, packages using that file are now broken.
38 > revdep-rebuild was a phase 1 effort to repair that damage after the
39 > fact, and it was good at that.
40 >
41 > @preserved-rebuild is a feature in portage that won't remove old .so
42 > files until the last binary linking to it is removed. IOW, things still
43 > work meanwhile. It's analogous to the Unix style of deleting files - if
44 > you app still has a handle to a file and the file is deleted, your app
45 > does not notice the difference as from it's POV the delete has not
46 > happened yet