From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: emailgrant@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System maintenance procedure?
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 20:11:34
1 On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 16:56:18 -0800
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > > My unattended daily system maintenance procedure is like this:
5 > > >
6 > > > layman -S
7 > > > emerge --sync
8 > > > emerge -pvDuN world
9 > > > emerge -pv --depclean
10 > > > eclean -p distfiles
11 > > > eclean -p packages
12 > > >
13 > > > And then attended like this:
14 > > >
15 > > >
16 > > > revdep-rebuild
17 > > > etc-update
18 > > > elogv
19 > > > emerge --depclean
20 > > > eclean distfiles
21 > > > eclean packages
22 > > >
23 > > > Am I missing any good stuff?
24 > > >
25 > > > - Grant
28 > > I'd tweak the order of your attended run:
29 > >
30 > > emerge -DuN world
31 > > emerge @preserved-rebuild
32 > > emerge --depclean
33 > > revdep-rebuild
36 > > The logic is:
37 > >
38 > > Rebuild busted packages that portage already knows about
39 > > (@preserved-rebuild), then get rid of oudated packages and finally
40 > > revdep-rebuild to fix anything that --depclean broke.
41 > >
42 > > @preserved-rebuild is getting very good at what it does lately
43 > > (supported in all recent portage version including stable IIRC), as
44 > > is --depclean, so revdep-rebuild seldom finds anything to do these
45 > > days.
46 > >
47 > > --
48 > > Alan McKinnon
49 >
50 > If revdep-rebuild does everything that @preserved-rebuild does and
51 > more, why run @preserved-rebuild at all?
52
53 @preserved-rebuild does it correctly, does not break your system and
54 does not leave it in an indeterminate state while you spend hours
55 trying to figure out what went on.
56
57 revdep-rebuild does all those things (and also gets around to fixing
58 broken libs while taking it's own sweet time to do it).
59
60 So they are not really the same thing at all.
61
62 Basically, portage removes old .so files when doing upgrades. If the
63 so-name changes, packages using that file are now broken.
64 revdep-rebuild was a phase 1 effort to repair that damage after the
65 fact, and it was good at that.
66
67 @preserved-rebuild is a feature in portage that won't remove old .so
68 files until the last binary linking to it is removed. IOW, things still
69 work meanwhile. It's analogous to the Unix style of deleting files - if
70 you app still has a handle to a file and the file is deleted, your app
71 does not notice the difference as from it's POV the delete has not
72 happened yet
76 Alan McKinnon
77 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com